The Great Imbalance

 

 

Missions experts today have told us that 90% of the world's 250,000 Christian missionaries are focused in places that already have a witness of the Gospel, and the remaining 10% labor in the 10/40 window, where nearly 98% of the world's unreached are. Missiologists have called this "the great imbalance."

“For it has been granted to you that for the sake of Christ you should not only believe in him but also suffer for his sake.” (Philippians 1:29)

There is little question as to why this disparity exists. Western missionaries and the Western culture in general greatly values physical safety. Though not the only reason for the imbalance, the fear of physical and emotional harm has kept the missions movement from a final thrust into some of the earth's hardest and darkest places. Yet a recurring motif in the New Testament is suffering for the sake of the Gospel:

“For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you might follow in his steps.” (1 Peter 2:21)

ACTS believes that the Lord is sending His people as sheep among wolves to bear witness to the glory of God in the face of Christ.